When you experience a broken heart, it may feel like the world is crashing down around you and nothing will ever be the same again. Heartbreak can be one of the worst experiences there is – the most all-consuming hurt, the most memorable pain. The feeling can follow you for the rest of your life.
Whether the quote is a long story about a personal experience, or short, sweet, and to the point, you are sure to find a quote or two that hits a note with what you are feeling. Perhaps inspiration can be found in these sage statements from authors all over the globe as well.
Don’t dwell on the feelings of a broken heart alone. Use this list of broken heart quotes to take comfort, seek advice, and build context around what you are experiencing. Inspire others with these words as well.
Broken Heart Quotes
1. Pleasure of love lasts but a moment. Pain of love lasts a lifetime.
2. The heart will break, but broken live on.
3. It is strange how often a heart must be broken before the years can make it wise.
4. Only time can heal your broken heart. Just as only time can heal his broken arms and legs.
5. Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.
6. But a part of me lies buried in lace and roses on a riverbank in France-a part of me is broken off forever. A part of me will be unflyable, stuck in the climb. – Elizabeth Wein
7. Stab the body and it heals, but injure the heart and the wound lasts a lifetime. – Mineko Iwasaki
8. Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option. – Mark Twain
9. Love is unconditional. Relationships are not. – Grant Gudmunson
10. The cure for a broken heart is simple, my lady. A hot bath and a good night’s sleep.
11. Hearts will never be practical until they are made unbreakable.
12. I’d rather have a broken arm than a broken heart.
13. It’s hard asking someone with a broken heart to fall in love again.
14. Every time your heart is broken, a doorway cracks open to a world full of new beginnings, new opportunities.
15. Sharp are the arrows of a broken heart.
16. If you haven’t broken any heart yet, you never loved. – M.F. Moonzajer
17. Sometimes, all you can do is lie in bed, and hope to fall asleep before you fall apart. – William C. Hannan
18. When you lose someone, you get used to living day to day without them. But you’ll never get used to the “10 second heartbreak.” That’s the time it takes to wake to full consciousness each day and remember. – Nina Guilbeau
19. I’ve been heartbroken. I’ve broken hearts. That’s part of life, and it’s part of figuring out who you are so you can find the right partner. – Heidi Klum
20. If you are heartbroken and can’t face the world, you need something with a fantastic plot. You won’t be able to read anything boring because your attention span when you are heartbroken decreases by three-quarters. – Isabel Gillies
21. God is closest to those with broken hearts. – Jewish Proverb
22. Heaven doesn’t ignore cries of a broken heart.
23. I wish I were a little girl again because skinned knees are easier to fix than a broken heart.
24. One day you’re going to remember me and how much I loved you…then you’re gonna hate yourself for letting me go.
25. Don’t cry when the sun is gone, because the tears won’t let you see the stars.
26. Don’t tie your heart to a person that has nothing left to offer you. Let it go. It might hurt for a while, but when you get over it, you’ll see that it’s better. – Orebela Gibenga
27. I know that’s what people say—you’ll get over it. I’d say it, too. But I know it’s not true. Oh, you’ll be happy again, never fear. But you won’t forget. Every time you fall in love it will be because something in the man reminds you of him. – Betty Smith
28. He loved me. He loved me, but he doesn’t love me anymore, and it’s not the end of the world. – Jennifer Weiner
29. Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together. – Marilyn Monroe
30. Don’t throw away your time dreaming of someone that doesn’t want you. No one is that amazing, certainly not the one who would pass you up. – Donna Lynn Hope
31. Hearts live by being wounded. – Oscar Wilde
32. Sometimes it takes a heartbreak to shake us awake and help us see we are worth so much more than we’re settling for.
33. I’d rather love a million times and have my heart broken every time, than hold a permanently empty heart forever.
34. So it’s true when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.
35. A broken heart bleeds tears.
36. The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.
37. Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal.
38. I loved you; and perhaps I love you still, the flame, perhaps, is not extinguished; yet it burns so quietly within my soul, no longer should you feel distressed by it. – Alexander Pushkin
39. You can die of a broken heart — it’s scientific fact — and my heart has been breaking since that very first day we met. I can feel it now, aching deep behind my rib cage the way it does every time we’re together, beating a desperate rhythm: Love me. Love me. Love me. – Abby McDonald
40. The heart is the only broken instrument that works.
41. Love is the most beautiful of dreams and the worst of nightmares.
42. The clouds wept when my heart sang a song of sorrow.
43. With time the pain eases, the body recovers and the brain figures out new ways to go on.
44. I know my heart will never be the same but I’m telling myself I’ll be okay.
45. Unrequited love is the infinite curse of a lonely heart.
46. Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option.
47. Love is hard to find, hard to keep, and hard to forget.
48. Someday you’re gonna look back on this moment of your life as such a sweet time of grieving. You’ll see that you were in mourning and your heart was broken, but your life was changing. – Elizabeth Gilbert
49. Perhaps someday I’ll crawl back home, beaten, defeated. But not as long as I can make stories out of my heartbreak, beauty out of sorrow. – Sylvia Plath
50. Heartbreak is funny to everyone but the heartbroken. – Jeffery Eugenides